Northern Eats
4:04 PM |

I’ve been blog-tagged by an Ottawa writer and fellow twentysomething with compiling a list of my top eating joints. I’d absolutely love to sit and think about all my favourite places to eat in Ottawa, salivate and get a little homesick, but in the interest of variety, I’ll list my favourite Whitehorse spots. Come up and try them! It’s only 25,000 Aeroplan points away from Ottawa! Peanuts!
1. La Gourmandise
This is kind of a cheat because I have only been there for Sunday brunch. They are the only locale in the ’horse to serve French crepes, complete with bolognese sauce and ham or custard with berries. They are prepared by an ex-pat French chef, and because they only serve them on Sunday mornings, he puts his heart and soul into them. And probably other ingredients. They’re decadent. The dinner menu looks good but like I said, I’m half cheating on this one.
2. Alpine Bakery
This giant log cabin has a yoga studio upstairs and an organic bakery downstairs. I love to get their organic pizza: ready-made whole wheat crust, handmade tomato sauce, fresh vegetables, feta cheese (if any, sometimes it’s vegan pizza) and an organic brownie for dessert. If I’m splurging, I’ll get a glass of fresh apple juice, where you watch the foreign-born and adorable servers shove two whole apples into a tube and instantly this red juice comes out (red from the peel). It tastes phenomenal. They also serve organic chocolate truffles. It’s no even a sin because it’s organic dark chocolate, people!
3. The Backerei Kaffee Haus, which I am dismayed to find out is now The Bake Zone
Granted, I liked it more when it was named something German, but the decor, staff and menu is still the same so I can hack it. They are the only place with an ice cream bar, and even then it’s organic gelato. My fave is the cups of mango gelato with those little mini spoons. Their sandwiches are pretty tasty if you grab one before the lunch rush and while I don’t like their chai lattes, their expansive tea menu more than compensates.
4. Giorgio’s Cuccina
The owner is from the same Greek island as my aunt, where I traveled in second year, so the familiar wall paintings and select Greek dishes invites me. It’s an upscale (by Whitehorse standards) restaurant, so it’s a bit expensive, but I think worth it. They’ve one of the city’s best wine menus, the pasta is always delectable and hearty enough to take some home for tomorrow’s lunch. They have seafood dishes that look appetizing, and I’ve heard great things, but I always go for the fettucini alfredo, spinach canneloni or chicken penne. Call me simple, but I love my classics. Also, when I say fancy by Whitehorse standards, I mean you can walk into this place and see tables of well-dress government workers, or people in overalls, or sometimes even track pants. I’ve heard the dress code is called Yukon formal.

Instead of a fifth, I will now indulge in my homesickness and just list off my fave Ottawa epicurean centres: La Boulangerie Francais for croissants and sandwiches, Milestones for their pumpkin and pecan pasta or peppercorn steak, the French Bistro off of Dalhousie Street that looks like a sketchy back alley joint but is actually fantastic, Paddy Boland’s because the food is great and the staff are even more phenomenal, and Memories Dessert Cafe with the best pies and cakes this side of the I-don’t-care-how-many-calories-are-in-this world.

Labels: , ,