Canada Day in the Country
7:26 PM |

I watched the CBC’s live coverage of the Canada Day show on Parliament Hill this morning. It was a little mournsome, as it was all so familiar and evoked major nostalgia. I could envision my friends and family, painting maple leafs on each other, barbecuing, drinking, and putting those paper flags in their ponytails, getting ready to make the trek downtown, where crowds frequently erupt singing the national anthem and everyone joins in.
On TV, I watched the cannons go off, the PM shake hands awkwardly with people in their traditional dress and people wearing as many red maple leafs as possible. I had sort of written off this Canada Day, knowing it could never compare to an Ottawa Canada Day. I even pitifully texted all my Ottawa friends, wishing them a happy Canada Day, envisioning them walking the downtown streets blocked off from traffic wearing goofy hats and flags in creative ways.
But then there was a Canada Day miracle. Husband/lead cop in town was asked at the last minute to organize a Canada Day parade. Now, when Ross River residents say “parade” what they mean is organizing all the emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance) to form a convoy with sirens on and wailing. Each vehicle pastes Canada flags and Canada balloons all around it, and the occupants prepare freezies and Canada Day tattoos and candy to throw out at the kids.
I thought this was hilarious, driving through town with sirens blazing, no doubt irritating all the hung over drunks. More importantly, a whole slew of kids started following the “parade” on their bikes, collecting the strewn freezies, tattoos and candy. They were so happy! People waved to us from the balconies and drove out in their cars to follow. It was too funny; I smiled ear to ear tossing freezies and laughing the whole morning.
To top it all off, a mother and her daughter hauled out their ice cream truck, for this once-a-year occasion, and drove around ringing their bells selling ice cream to everyone. They made a killing and I got an ice cream sandwich.
It was totally not the high-budget, staged spectacle of national TV, but it was just enough to make me forget about what I was missing at home. Happy Canada Day!

Labels: