Another year into twentysomething
11:27 AM |

First thing this morning, I drew a bath, toasted my toaster strudel, decorated it with icing, and sank into warm water, as pastry crumbs fell under my chin and floated away. I was reveling in the after effects of the best birthday I’ve ever had. The warm water (which hadn’t run out in my triplex because it was only 10 a.m.!) gave off steam and spread around the bath beads I got from former roommate C. The Crabtree lavender candle burned and I read my Cosmo. Mmmm…it was too easy to let my face smile, even though I was all alone.

I had eaten dinner with my mum the night before, showered with gifts, and fed my favourites- Chinese food and tiramisu. I woke up on my birthday morning, Saturday, beside fiancé, who gave me a kiss and turned over to continue dreaming. I pulled on my housecoat and tip-toed to the living room to wake up former roommate and constant friend C. We’d had a total girl sleepover the night before, painting our nails, watching romantic comedies and eating too much greasy food. We ate our cereal and berries while watching Saturday morning TV. I gotta say, “That’s so Raven” is a perfect Saturday morning show. We amassed current roommate A., and met up with athletic friend S. at a downtown yoga studio, my favourite, for a 10:45 hot room yoga class. (Bikram) It was difficult and sweaty and there were times when I was thinking up excuses I could use to stop doing it. But after the hard poses were done and the relaxation ones began, I felt so cleansed. I thought to myself, as I meditated and brought my breathing back to normal, that relaxation was an amazing birthday present.

Went home and took off my soaking wet sweaty yoga clothes (I was sweating from my knee caps: It really was hot room yoga), and showered off. Then, fiancé and I were off with athletic friend S. to meet my BFF for high tea. I had vanilla chai with milk and sugar, along with my two-tiered sandwich display. As sophisto as high tea may sound, do note that our table laughed, made fart jokes and generally disobeyed most etiquette rules that could be done away with. (There are some I’ll never break- like raising a pinkie with tea). I got an amazing, touching letter from BFF that reminded me, and moved me to the core, how lucky I am to have such amazing people like her in my life!

Later was dinner with my Dad and grandfather: wonderful wine, fine dining, and a new pair of Puma Satori Alto boots-yay! Then it was back to my place as my guests arrived. We drank champagne and wine, I wore a tiara, and we all amassed for a drinking game in the living room. We all cabbed to my new favourite bar- Foundations- where we danced and drank the night away. It was all very fabulous, very fun, and very memorable.

There are so many more details I left out of this post that made this the best birthday ever, but I really must get back to work! But I left my bath this morning, ever grateful and appreciative of the wonderful people I have in my life and the things they are willing to do to show me how special I am to them in return.