Remember to Breathe
8:33 AM |

Sorry I haven’t written as much as I resolved to. Our house has been crazy busy and it is only tonight that I think I might get a chance to just sit and do nothing for 5 minutes! Subsequently, Next Top Model will air and I will be enthralled with the catty, beautiful characters and recurring placements of Tyra Banks’ photo.
We had a house guest who left this morning, thus ending our week-long binge-drinking little sleep escapade, and has left us all with various colds and ailments. (Sore knee from Latin dancing on Saturday and a sore throat from some viral infection my body was likely too drunk to stave off). I am on a loose regimen of lemon Halls, Echinacea tea and whining. And now it's back to the books and articles and presentations I left behind, only now the deadlines are startlingly close. So close I can see the disgusting due-date grime in its pores. I only wish a nice face scrub would fix it.
I'm doing the Run for the Cure breast cancer fundraiser this Sunday with the fam fam so I've been trying to fit in runs to get ready for that, but I don't feel as ready as I did in May. I haven’t had anyone close to me die or be diagnosed with breast cancer, but—and I know this is selfish—I get a great euphoric high about being amassed with a group of people who have joined to do something good. I’ll let you know how I do. I have benefited from having a new running goal to sustain my practice. With winter months ahead, I hope I can keep it up, but I haven’t yet tried running the canal on ice and snow covered sidewalks. Do people get special winter running shoes with metal spikes? Should I? I’m also finding it harder to fit runs into my schedule now that school’s started up again. I used to run on my lunch break during the 9 to 5 of summer, but now each days is a jumble of class, bus, work, bus, home, make dinner, assignments, assignments. I ran home from work the other day, but that meant I had to leave stuff at work and bring home an extra big heavy gym bag the next day, and the run home was only 3.5 km.
Living with fiancé has become as wonderful as I had initially dreamed it would be. We have worked out the kinks and compromised cleanliness standards to find a happy medium where we can fall asleep rubbing each other’s backs and smiling. I hope that doesn’t make you want to barf! I miss seeing my friends as much as summer months allowed me to, but phone and e-mail have helped. If you are reading this, Peterborough friend A, you will be receiving a special delivery from your truly tomorrow! Kiss!
So that’s where this twentysomething finds herself these days. It’s busy, it’s crazy, but it keeps me occupied with many a carpe-diem moment so I am pleased.