Everything's coming up roses! Yeah!
8:28 AM |

At about the same time I learned about maya (see earlier post) I learned about karma. The traditional beliefs say karma is an effect that follows each person’s life, that if you are mean in one life you will be punished in the next, making the path to Nirvana that much further. In this 2006 fast-fast world, and with me being a twentysomething carpe diem-er, I like to think that karma makes an appearance in our own lives, in more real time. For instance, I like to think that when I return someone’s twenty-dollar bill they’ve dropped, that someone would to the same for me one day. I also expect that if I’m a total beeyotch at the transit lady because I’m having a bad day, then I may be on the receiving end one day as well. Do you agree?
Anyway, I have had a few days with wonderful events I must share with you, to promote the idea that karma just might be a relevant universal force to reckon with. Obviously, the proposal and engagement were stellar. That was one of the best, happiest things to ever happen to me! As I had also mentioned before, I was granted a wonderful opportunity through an internship. Sunday I got a letter in the mail saying that my university was giving me a scholarship, specifically because I was an upper-year student with great promise I the field of newspaper journalism. Nice! What a confidence booster and tuition helper! Yesterday when I checked up on some journalism classes I wanted to get into (but that were full and had been for 5 weeks), it turned out there was one spot in my first choice class on public relations. Double nice! I also wrote one of my former profs an email, because I wanted to get into her online publishing class, though it was full. But encouraged by the fortune of the earlier class opening, I thought it worth a shot. She e-mailed back saying what impeccable timing I had, as she had just been given an extra spot, and it would go to me! Yay universe! I also was given an interview time with someone I’d been chasing for a week, which makes my looming deadline seem less daunting as I navigate through agents and other red tape. The ridiculous heat wave seems to be calming down, the long weekend is here, and I feel like the universe is giving me a nice, warm, hug. Rather than answer back to it with, “Thanks universe!” I understand my karmic obligations to pay it forward. So I resolve not be bitchy, snarky or know-it-all ish. I will smile at people, I will talk to people, and I’ll definitely do what I can to help people.


“Nothin’ but blue skies…do I see…”