R.I.P. Celia Franca
12:12 PM |

I had no idea that the old lady with the almost Mimi-esque makeup job who was directing us to "flit your arms, never stop" was actually a Canadian art legend.

We were 15 when A and I were in rehearsals for "A Midsummer Night's Dream". She was Cobweb and I was Peaceblossom, Queen Titania's fairies. If you look hard enough, you may even be able to find some photographic evidence of my theatre work. I have no idea how our director got Celia Franca, founder of the National Ballet school, to do our choreography. But choreograph she did. I remember standing on a rise at the front of stage left, "demi-pliƩ, battement lent, pliƩ in fourth, repeat." We also had to stand in fourth, chest out and skyward while we "flitted" our hands and arms as if they were ribbons blowing in a soft breeze, when we were not called to deliver lines or cross the stage.

When the reviews came out, we were surprised to see that a notorious critique who despised young actors did not chastise us at all. The reviews were generally positive and succeeded in bringing in the crowds. The only thing, oddly enough, that was criticized was the "distracting fairies who kept moving their arms as if they were to take flight at any moment."

Either way, working with Celia was like a trip to Europe. Strange at first, we snickered about her peculiar accent and direction. But as we progressed through the scenes and perfected her choreography, we learned to appreciate her exotic flair and genius compositions. When the run was over, I missed our fairy dance sessions with Celia.

And today, she has died, at age 85 in my city.