If you want to be a somebody, wake up and pay attention
6:44 AM |

Someone I know recently turned his life around. While I am still scared for him, I am so proud of him for taking on the challenge in spite of his fear. He has made mistakes in his life and lived in comfort and shelter, relatively speaking, and now for the first time he has stepped out on his own and is responsible for his own life course.
He has to do his own laundry and try not to shrink or discolour it. He does his groceries and is realizing how expensive a constant supply of Gatorade really is. He is furnishing his first home that only belongs to him, that he can call his own. He also gets to buy the cereal he wants, listen to his own music, and take as long as he wants getting through his Saturday to-do list.
If he falls, all the responsibility of the fall is on him. I’m sure he has nights where he lies down before going to sleep, wondering how he’s going to do it all. I hope there are fewer of those moments than the moments where he celebrates being on his own.
I found it pretty scary moving out, but it was also fun doing things myself for the first time. I feel proud to say I pay my own bills, I manage my own schedule, and I take care of myself. I am sure anyone else who has taken that step can relate.
I wish good luck to anyone who has made the decision to take responsibility for him or herself and become independent. To those of you unsure if you could do it, or weary to step out on your own, I highly recommend independence. It inspires confidence to tackle almost anything, and it humbles the spirit previously accustomed to depending on others.