The Elastowaist Wonders
4:42 PM |

I have recently discovered the most divine and, might I add, well-kept secret of pregnancy: Maternity jeans. They are a godsend, and I can foresee they will be the most difficult thing for me to let go of once this 9-month journey is over.
They were purchased for me by my mother as I laughed at how outrageous they looked. I imagined that when I put them on, I’d look like one of those hugely big-butted people at Wal-Mart, you know where like the butt pockets are so far apart you wonder, “Why?” Maternity jeans looked to me like they would be the first step towards an eventual progression to the dreaded mom jeans. Ugh.
Most of my jeans sit low anyway, so I figured the maternity jeans would be reserved until I was categorically huge and blimp-like. Sure, my belt buckle would dig in a little when I sat down, but I can deal with that.
Yesterday was my first day back working at the school and by the end of the day I was so uncomfortable. I kept tugging down my T-shirt all day as it rode up my protruding belly, meanwhile trying to tug it down in the back and avoid plumber’s butt exposure whenever I sat or bent over. It was a whole day of re-adjusting. I swear if those “what not to wear” cameras were following me, they would have had a lot of ammo for supporting the theory that my regular clothing no longer fits.
So I reluctantly went over to the closet in the future nursery where I am keeping all my maternity clothes. Out of sight. I slipped on the Motherhood Maternity Secret Belly pants and oh……lordy. It was amazing. The elastowaist wonders had me hooked. I wore them to work today and though the elastic part creeped out under my rising T-shirt a few times, I felt so much better. And really, that’s the T-shirt’s fault. My belly could actually fill when I inhaled and yet my butt still looked fabulous! Not Wal-Mart huge at all!
I think I am going to live in these pants. Everybody should have a pair for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners. They would give so much of what I need when stuffing myself full of more stuffing. Mmm, stuffing.
Meanwhile, I am not sure I have enough of those empire waist shirts to last before I have to make the leap to the designated maternity shirts…