"A lady ain't what she wears but what she knows" -Miss India Arie
5:26 PM |

First off, I won’t pass judgment here or anywhere because I’ll never know the whole story about anyone. Everyone’s got something going on beyond what they present, and as easy as it is to assume what we see is what the truth is, we’ve all got skeletons in our closets.
That being said, I have something of a public service announcement. Just because you wear expensive clothes, have boys doting over you and have high end makeup on your face doesn’t make you immune to bad manners. Whether you are rich or poor, bad manners are not in good taste. I went out to the bar with the girls last night to celebrate other friends’ homecomings and the series one win of our beloved home team. In walked some girls from our high school. They were the ones whose parents could always buy them nice clothes and handbags. They used to make fun of people, sometimes out loud, and would qualify as the “popular” girls. Since graduation, they frequent one or two bars, usually in the same pack of people they walked down the halls with at school. I know they know who I am. I know because depending on who I am with, they may say hi to me, and because I have heard what’s said about me from their perfectly pink lips.
Yesterday was an instance where one or two of them walked by without choosing to acknowledge my presence, more than once. Ladies: Good manners, i.e. saying hello, smiling once in awhile, are in good taste. No matter how attractive or lavishly dressed you are, bad manners are such bad taste they will ruin the effort you spent preparing your appearance. You’re not doing anyone any favours. Psychologically, it’s said that you act like b*tches because you harbour your own insecurities from your abandoning father or childhood illness, etc. If you would just smile at people when appropriate, I guarantee you will feel better AND still be pretty. It’s a win-win.
I am not saying this for my own validation. I don’t need their “hellos” to have a good time or feel better. Being with my girls and drinking is enough for me. But I am putting this out there because you might as well understand the value of good manners and taste now, and not delay this realization until that day when you are in your forties and realize you’ve been treating people poorly you’re whole life and no one’s a fan anymore. Maybe that day will never come and you’ll continue surrounding yourself with like-mannered people, feeding off of each other’s snobbery. If that’s the case, you are blessed to have friends. But in the odd case that your karma meets you in this life time, better to begin being nice now rather than later.