As we go on, we remember...
6:02 AM |

Yesterday morning, I attended my little sister's graduation. She's 12, so this was her graduation from elementary school, as she begins high school in the fall. It was a cute ceremony, where all 81 graduates crossed the stage and received diplomas. I felt like such a proud older sister taking pictures of her as she entered the room with her graduating class and posed with her principal, diploma in hand. Her departure from our elementary school also marks the first time since the school opened that a child from my family hasn't attended it. I began kindergarten the year it opened, my brother carried on after me three years later, and then my sister began kindergarten as I began grade eight. That school is a 2 blocks away from the house we all grew up in. We took the bus there regardless until we were in grade 4, due to a nervous mother. The playground has a big crater storm drain beside it, so many a recesses were spent rolling and running down it in spring and fall, and sliding down it in winter. Someone always got hurt sliding on the hill, but that was really part of the fun. I'll miss having a younger sibling to visit there, because it gave me a excuse to call up my own memories of the gym, the wash room breaks with friends, and the hall passes.
Yesterday was beautiful closure to that chapter in my family's life, and my sister has done us all proud. Today, my little brother graduates from high school. He has even been voted the valedictorian, so I have been helping him write a speech that I am confidant will bring peope to tears and make them cry laugh as well. I look forward to going into that gymnasium and entranceway for the ceremony, because I haven't been in there since my own graduation. My last memories of that place are taking a final walk around with my best friends, talking about what we really would and really wouldn't miss about that place. Today my high school friends and experiences carry with me. At downtown watering holes, there are even still places that seem to be reserved for me high school's alumnus.(It's fun to visit sometimes, but others it's like, hey snotty bitches, didn't we all move on from high school?) I'll let you know how today goes.
If I had to re-do any of my schooling experience, I wouldn't. I had major eff-ups, and definitely have been in positions I' not proud of, but it's those same situations that give me some decision-making light today. I also had some killer fun experiences, haven't we all? I enjoy reflecting on those years.