Financial security or financial fun?
7:21 AM |

I just heard a commercial for Freedom 55 Financial that urges viewers to "continue dreaming, and start planning.” I thought to myself, “Isn’t that the just the hardest part about seizing the day?” It’s so much more fun to blow your savings on an amazing trip: An experience you’ll relish and savour forever. Or, how can you seize the day when your friends are calling you to come out and play, but you know you have to stay in and write an essay or else you’ll fail a class? I’ve often been reminded of things like “reality” and “planning”, but they seem so far away in actual grown-up realm. Suits and bills and mortgages do not belong to any seize the day-er I know. But in my imagination future, I see myself with my family in a nice house in a neighbourhood with clean streets and I am seizing the day there as well. I just don’t think about what it takes to get from point A to B. The potential sacrifices, nights in, saving money it takes to get to that higher ground. What’s a twentysomething to do when all she wants is fun, memories and enjoyment? If I get hit by a car in a year, will I be glad I had contributed regular monthly amounts to my RRSP? Or will I instead be glad I took my money and used it to help people, have fun and go out into the big, wide world while I could? Thoughts?