End of year top 10
1:34 PM |

Now that the end of the year is coming up, it is time for MuchMusic and Time magazine to start the end-of-year lists. I miss the grade 5 days when I had time to actually watch the top 100 videos of the year, or the top hottie girl music stars.

Now that I have finished my essays and exams, I have been given the gift of time, which inevitably turns into time spent on my behind. I’m glad to be able to turn off the right half of my brain (or whichever handles academia, I never took bio) and focus on Christmas, my shopping trip to New York City in Thursday, and my own end of 2006 lists. Yes, with my type-A personality comes lists.

In the spirit, here is my list of best memories from 2006, ones I have already filed into a special part of my brain’s rolodex that I can return to in other moments when I have time to stop, turn my brain off and reflect. (Though not for too long—I’ll save in-depth retrospection for when I’m too old to do anything else)

1. Sitting by the canal at sunset and laugh/crying so hard I couldn’t see through the tears as a beautiful ring was slipped on my third left finger.
2. Surfing in Maine during Hurricane Ernesto with my Dad, wearing our wet suits, and being the only crazies on the beach.
3. Crossing the finish line, sweaty, tired, thirsty and PROUD at my first race in May.
4. Hearing the Fray’s “I’ll Look After You” for the very first time (and realizing, on a new higher level, how much music can make you feel)
5. Swimming and tanning in Korea C’s backyard with water, smoothies and coconut oil.
6. Sliding out of the canoe and onto my floatie in the freezing cold water at K’s cottage, laughing and shivering so hard I could hardly keep myself afloat.
7. Climbing Bon Echo mountain
8. Trying on my veil.
9. Canoeing around Otter Lake singing ridiculous camp songs with my girls.
10. Feeling the sea water hit my face on a beautiful sunny day at sea in Halifax