Cullum in the park = Amazing
8:37 AM |

Last night was, to put it the best way my lexicon allows, a perfect summer night. Joined by my two forever best friends, we set up our soccer mom lawn chairs in Confederation park with poutines, pogos and popsicles in our hands. We were there to see English piano crooner/musical fuser Jaime Cullum perform in the park, and the idea alone sounded way too good to forego a $25 ticket purchase price. Was I ever right...
Opener Sonya Kitchell surprised me this morning when the newspaper review revealed she was 17. Last evening, she sang with the emotional rawness and sadness of a late twentysomething whose heart had been broken too many times to count. Her vocals seemed flawless and were perfect for the evening: A nice mix of Norah Jones in "Turn me on" and Jewel. I highly recommend downloading her for some grade-A chill music. I thought to myself, "Hmmm..after a performance like that, Jaime better bring his A-game."
Did he ever. Most concerts go for about an hour and a half, and the featured artist bookends with his biggest hits, mixed with the songs that reflect the diversity of the album being promoted. What you would expect. Last evening, under the stars on a beautiful summer night, Jaime Cullum played a 3-hour set that featured his hits, his impromptu solo jams and his made-up-on-the-spot wonders. Each song ran about 10 minutes long, but I only came up with that number this morning, his piano solos showed how truly prodigal his talents are. His voice was consistently sexy, as in all his recorded songs. His lyrics were so simple and beautiful...he makes truth seem so easy to convey! He repeatedly told the audience were one of his best ever, and he would never forget us. I feel the same. He turned slow love ballads into bursting Brazilian samba beats, he turned the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" into a hip-hop piano and vocals masterpiece.
I don't know if this post conveys at all how wonderful last night was, so hopefully my enthusiasm will be enough. But I know this morning that a night like last night will be a long time returning. I'm so glad I had it. Thanks Jaime Cullum because it was such a treat. To pay tribute to last night, here are the lyrics to his song, "Twentysomething":
Twnetysomething by Jaime Cullum
After years of expensive education
A car full of books and anticipation
I'm an expert on Shakespeare and that's a hell of a lot
But the world don't need scholars as much as I thought
Maybe I'll go travelling for a year
Finding myself, or start a career
Could work the poor, though I'm hungry for fame
We all seem so different but we're just the same
Maybe I'll go to the gym, so I don't get fat
Aren't things more easy, with a tight six pack
Who knows the answers, who do you trust
I can't even seperate love from lust
Maybe I'll move back home and pay off my loans
Working nine to five, answering phones
But don't make me live for Friday nights
Drinking eight pints and getting in fights
Maybe I'll just fall in love
That could solve it all
Philosophers say that that's enough
There surely must be more
Love ain't the answer, nor is work
The truth elludes me so much it hurts
But I'm still having fun and I guess that's the key
I'm a twentysomething and I'll keep being me
THESE ARE THE DAYS
These are the days that I've been missing
Give me the taste give me the joy of summer wine
These are the days that bring new meaning
I feel the stillness of the sun and I feel fine
Sometimes when the nights are closing early
I remember you and I start to smile
Even though now you don't want to know me
I get on by, and I go the extra mile
These are the times of love and meaning
Ice of the heart has melted away and found the light
These are the days of endless dreaming
Troubles of life are floating away like a bird in flight
These are the days that I've been missing
Give me the taste give me the joy of summer wine
These are the days that bring new meaning
I feel the stillness of the sun and I feel fine