Family vacation: Sarcastic yay
4:52 PM |


Sorry, I was gone. I went camping with my mom, brother and sister. I dreaded it Wednesday morning. My mum does this thing where she speaks in a high-pitched voice and throws her hands a lot before an event happens. It's her way of preparing. She can't roll and pack the beach towels without heaving heavily and slamming them. When I offered help and reminded her we were going on vacation, ergo, time of rest and calm, she accused me of attacking her and huffed off again. I looked at my sister, shrugged my shoulders and put in my iPod, nice and drowning-out loud.
I slept the drive up, except for the last bit because my mum cursed at the yellow home hardware store truck behind us that wanted to pass. "Jeezus, buddy, I'm not going to speed just for you." Middle of the country, no cops in sight, and yes, my mum was the driver with 20 cars behind her on a one-lane highway.
We arrived at our site and unpacked. I had resolved not to argue anything because I would rather keep my blood pressure at a reasonable level than fight for a tent that is perfectly straight. My mum wanted to drive everywhere. It was Bon Echo provincial park. Trails everywhere. Nature, mum. Let's walk. It'll do us some good. No, that's too hard and far. Fine.
The next day I slept in and finally caught up with the sleep hours my body had put on reserve following many 6 and 7 hours sleep nights. (I needed my beauty sleep). Once we all had a good long, guilt-free sleep, things got better. I did my yogic breathing and sipped cool water. She had her mandatory 2 cups of coffee and used the energy to swim and make breakfast, not heave and flail her arms in stress. Like my sister and I wading into Lake Mazinaw's cool waters, the trip slowly became soaked in calm and peace after a shocking and agitated beginning. I had some good older sister to younger brother chats and worked my tan into a deep gold, without burning. We hiked a beautiful clifftop opposite the beach and saw some native pictographs from thousands of years ago. It was spiritual, being surrounded by vibrant greens, cool, crisp waterside air and birds of every colour. It was a nice excuse to pause, reflect and most importantly, cohabitate in peace with my family. Monday's back to work but Monday's two days away. Tonight, I celebrate my twentysomething year old summer nights out back in thecity on the bar scene in summer clothes with summer hair and a summer pulse rate: Slow and sexy.